Mission and Outreach
Mission and Outreach
Mission and Outreach helps celebrate God’s love for all people and creation, serving our neighbors locally and globally through partnerships with other organizations. Some of our areas of emphasis are:
Dorcas Ministries is a local faith-based agency that provides a variety of services to people in financial need. Mission and Outreach serves as the liaison between the congregation and Dorcas Ministries, keeping members informed of its news and needs and encouraging donations to its thrift shop and food bank. Good Shepherd members regularly devote time at Dorcas Ministries, and we encourage members to also support it financially by shopping at the thrift store.
The Carying Place
The Carying Place is a transitional housing program which gives homeless working families with children an opportunity to improve their financial and living situations. Each Carying Place family receives short-term housing and guidance in developing a plan for self-sufficiency. Volunteers from Good Shepherd work on family support teams, prepare homes for new residents, and provide meals for gatherings of families and support teams. Our work with The Carying Place relates to Community, one of our church’s 6Cs.
Habitat For Humanity
Mission and Outreach supports Good Shepherd in teaming with other groups to help provide people with safe, adequate housing. Through Habitat for Humanity we participate in the building of homes in the Cary/Apex area. Our work with Habitat for Humanity relates to Community, one of our church’s 6Cs.
Every two years we team up with members of other churches for a week-long mission trip, focusing on home repair and property cleanup for homeowners who are unable to do so themselves. Our housing work relates to Community and Cross-Cultural, pieces of our 6Cs.
- Through ChildFund International we have provided assistance with food, clothing, and school expenses for a young man in Ethiopia since he was a child.
- We worked with a family through U.S. Commitee for Refugees and Immigrants (USCRI).
- Some years find us participating in the local CROP Walk, sponsoring a Hunger Lunch to raise awareness of food shortages, and collecting Christmas toys for families in financial need.
- We participate in all of the special mission offerings of the United Church of Christ to assist people in various ways around the world.
- Mission and Outreach encourages the congregation to get involved in other mission opportunities as they arise, to learn about social concerns, and to be a model of love and welcome to all.